Home  |  Shop  |  About us  |  Contact us  |  Links  |  Recipes
   Why organic food?   |   How it works   |   Weekly food box   |   Membership benefits   |   Sign up!
Member sign in
Username
Password
Forget your password?
Product Search
Example: "cho" to search for chocolate
Your Shopping Cart
View your current order & proceed to checkout
Your Shopping List
You must be signed in to access this function
Google
Click here to get the latest news from the Ecology Action Centre!
The Voice of Organics in the Atlantic!
Holistic Health Directory
Sustainability 101
Energy Conservation
Global Warming and Grocery Shopping:
Make a "Cool" Consumer Choice
Our planet is warming faster than at any time in the last 10,000 years. As a northern country, Canada will experience some of the greatest warming on Earth. This is caused by our use of fossil fuels, such as oil, coal and gas, adding additional greenhouse gases to the atmosphere.
(David Suzuki Foundation)

- Only about 10% of the fossil fuel used in the world's food system is in production. The other 90% is used in shipping, packaging and "marketing." To help eliminate this excess, eat seasonally. Seasonal food is local food. This means it travels less distance to your table. (University of Wisconsin)

- The average item in a supermarket has traveled more than 1600 miles to your table. At HGOF, the average item travels less than 500 miles. This is an enormous reduction in fossil fuel use.

- Individuals driving to the grocery store spend an average of $3.60 on fuel, wear and tear on their car, etc. HGOF’s method of delivery reduces fossil fuel consumption by up 30% over individual travel.

Bike, shop at HGOF, eat seasonally, walk & turn down the heat!

The Energy Revolution: Take Action
The Canadian government is negotiating with the US on a continental energy deal. According to Natural Resources Minister Ralph Goodale, Alberta’s oil and gas exports to the US will increase substantially. The David Suzuki Foundation claims this is in direct conflict with Canadian pledges to the international community to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The Foundation is asking the federal government to open public debate on climate and energy policies. Jim Fulton of the David Suzuki Foundation states: "Boosting our oil and gas production to the meet US demands will cause our greenhouse gas emissions to rise and worsen climate change. We need to change the way we use and consume energy. If we’re going to cooperate with the Americans, renewable energy and energy efficiency must be the goals, not higher emission levels." Concerns over climate change have been re-ignited following two reports from scientists warning that the Earth’s atmosphere will warm by up to 5.8 degrees Celsius by 2100. The impact of climate change is already being felt in water supply disruptions, increased health risks from air pollution, more frequent extreme weather and increased wildlife extinction. To help dissuade the feds from dealing our resources south of the boarder, the Suzuki Foundation is asking us to write or e-mail the prime minister with our concerns. Visit http://www.energyrevolution.net for more details.


 
Buying Locally
Conscious Consumerism
Cooking Tips
Energy Conservation
Environmental Preservation
Fair Trade
Food Storage Tips
Food Trivia
Genetically Modified Organisms
Health and Nutrition
Organic Agriculture
Personal Care
Pesticides and Food Additives
Quips and Quotes
Sustainable Business News
Sustainable Living
The Benefits of Organics
Join our Team! | Privacy Policy